Sunday

Hi, I'm Siobahn, and this is my blog for ENG 280 at Michigan State University. I've chosen to focus on the novel The Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night-time , and for many reasons.

I first read this book almost 6 years ago, not too long after it had come out. My father had purchased it, read it himself and then insisted I read it as well. I ended up really enjoying the story and Christopher's character, so when I saw the book was listed on my syllabus for this course I was really excited to revisit everything after having matured as a reader over the past few years.

I'm a frequent re-reader of novels. I have my favorites and I read them at certain times of the year, or when I'm experiencing certain feelings. Sometimes I just glance at the title on my bookshelf and feel an overwhelming desire to visit that story again. I hadn't thought about Haddon's novel in a very long time. It was somewhere in my father's bookshelf in the basement and when I asked him to find it for me so I wouldn't have to purchase it for the class, he immediately became excited. We talked about my first time reading it and during the conversation I recalled my initial feelings on the book.

Reading this book at 14, with a lot less knowledge on Christopher's condition, gave me a different perspective. I don't think for one minute while reading this book, that I saw Christopher as lacking in any area. To me, he was different and refreshing! His quirks and odd behavior brought something to the story I hadn't seen before. I embraced him, and I gobbled up the book in a few days. I enjoyed the twists. I felt like the big moments in the book were just big moments in his life, like the things we all experience as adolescents. I saw him coming of age, growing up, finding himself, and that was because I found myself trying to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment